Simple Heart And Mind

Forums

Forum Home > Simple Living > The Declutter Challenge

Sandy
Site Owner

I'm on a mission.

I want to clear this house out.

I'm making this public so I will be more accountable! :roll:

January ... I have identified 20 drawers that need to be purged. 

I start today. I am feeling a little bit nervous, but I will make myself clear out a drawer. If I fight it too hard, I will make myself watch another episode of Hoarders ... oh, dear, no

Follow along, cheer me on, it's going to happen!  :D

January 2, 2011 at 6:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Okay, so I got through the first drawer ... bedside table drawer. I found large amounts of pens and pencils in there, plus a few pairs of old prescription glasses, key chains, papers, and sewing supplies. Tossed some things, recycled some things, and found some things to give away. 

Before and After Pics ...

January 2, 2011 at 7:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Tonight, I went through two drawers ... I won't show a picture of my underwear drawer, though.  And, the second drawer was supposed to be for socks. 

The problem I've been having is that I haven't been able to store thngs like socks in the sock drawer. It's been filled up with other misplaced stuff. 

The two drawers now have what I want in them, but I also have a small bin of misplaced stuff to deal with. I did find things to give away, though and throw away, so I'm moving in the right direction.  As always, this is a difficult chore for me.

Before and after pics of sock drawer. (Wonder how long it will stay looking like this? :))

January 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Renee

Oh," Hoarders"...I start to shake when I watch that show!  I can't watch it anymore.  Being an antique dealer doesn't help.  You tend to have "stuff" around the house to take into the store all the time...Yikes!  But drawers, yes I can handle that.  A good way to start getting stuff out of the house.  And, I've been listing bigger items on Craigslist.  I sold a few things lately and it was quite simple!

January 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hubby

That's the best looking sock drawer I've ever seen. You're the best. Rumor has it that your freezer was cleaned too. Does that count?

January 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Renee at January 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Oh," Hoarders"...I start to shake when I watch that show!  I can't watch it anymore.  Being an antique dealer doesn't help.  You tend to have "stuff" around the house to take into the store all the time...Yikes!  But drawers, yes I can handle that.  A good way to start getting stuff out of the house.  And, I've been listing bigger items on Craigslist.  I sold a few things lately and it was quite simple!

I just recently watched an episode about a consignment store owner ... :D

I have many little jewelry boxes that are looking for a new home, too. They're in another drawer.

--

January 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Hubby at January 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM

That's the best looking sock drawer I've ever seen. You're the best. Rumor has it that your freezer was cleaned too. Does that count?

Thanks. I modeled that drawer after my hubby's sock drawer.

Yes, the freezer counts, although I didn't actually do all the work.  :)

Decluttering the drawers is a bit uncomfortable. The really scary stuff will come in the following months!

--

January 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Another drawer ... more of the same.  Found three old cell phones in this drawer, and a bunch of old cosmetics from the 1980's and 90's! 

I am liking the end results, though.

January 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Tonight I am tired and was dreading the thought of decluttering another drawer.  So, watched some TV with Katers, and then made myself go upstairs to the last two dresser drawers. 

They weren't as hard as some of the others, mostly just messy, but I did find a small pile of things to give away. I have a couple more drawers in the bedroom yet to do ... perhaps tomorrow.

Pictures of tonight's efforts:

January 5, 2011 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Last two drawers in the bedroom! I still have some misplaced items that need new homes, though. And as I clear out  areas, more areas that need clearing out appear. 

January 6, 2011 at 11:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kia
That's awesome, Sandy! But you stole my drawer (top photo), LOL. Seriously, I'm sure that drawer and stuff in it are mine. Although it seems to be missing some notes...my drawers have notes which I'm always writing to myself stuffed between all the junk. The decluttering can be difficult but once you complete a room or project, it gives you a lot of incentive to tackle a new area. We WILL succeed this year! :)
January 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I know!  But why is it that every drawer seems to be a junk drawer?! :D  

--

January 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

So, I finished decluttering 8 drawers in our bedroom. I'm wanting to clean the rest of the bedroom now, but I think I need to focus my time and energy in putting away the Christmas tree and decorations this weekend. 

Maybe I will finish that and find LBOT (little bits of time) to work in the bedroom. Kids are still home this weekend, too, and I do want to spend some time with them. :)

It's good to be able to see the progress.

January 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Got all the Christmas stuff put away today.  

January 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I haven't been pushing myself as hard this weekend to declutter, and honestly I think that is okay. Today turned out to be somewhat of a playday for me, but I did decide to declutter a small drawer in the kitchen.

It's true, pretty much all of these drawers have turned into junk drawers. This one had several cameras and lots of batteries, both good and old batteries.  I had purposely put a large ziplock bag in the garage to put the old ones in, but people (who knows who) have been dumping the old ones in the drawer with the good ones. 

I wonder what pictures are on all the disposable cameras? Also, the cameras/film have expiration dates on them that are a few years past. I wonder if it's even worth trying to develop them ... 

Anyway, I'll have to make a decision on this. I did find some rechargable batteries and chargers that we haven't been using, and so will give those away.

January 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I'm struggling some in getting myself moving to declutter this week.

I'm thinking it will be easier next week ... I'm sure I will think of another reason to wait when next week comes ...

Anyway, I found some good advice on how to declutter on a blog I've started reading, and thought I would share some of this sage advice. 

From Small Notebook For A Simple Home ... (link under Link section)

Start with the big stuff. Removing oversized clutter like old furniture, broken appliances, and empty cardboard boxes will make the biggest impact for your space, even if you never get around to the smaller stuff.

Recognize what is really trash. Charities spend many volunteer hours and dollars sorting out the usable donations. Don’t donate items to charity that should be thrown away.

Be realistic about monetary value. Avoid spending too much time trying to decide if it’s okay to declutter an item that might be worth four dollars. But don’t shortchange yourself either when it comes to claiming your tax deductions. 

Don’t declutter your family’s stuff without their permission. (Small children would be an exception.) No one likes to discover that their stuff is missing.

Don’t play matchmaker. Are you waiting to find someone who will really appreciate your stuff? Don’t call all your extended family just to see if anyone wants your old mugs. Find a charity you like that you can donate everything to. 

Storage units should be temporary. Offsite storage can be useful in some instances. If you rent one, you should have a plan for when you won’t need it anymore. If years go by, the expenses will far exceed the value of what is being stored.

Get a motto and stay motivated.  My motto right now is “I want this gone by the time we move.”

Set deadlines for when things need to go. If you want to sell something on eBay or have a garage sale, set a date for when it’s time to switch to Plan B, in case your stuff is still at home.

Know the source of your clutter. Do you upgrade your stuff frequently? Do you buy too much because it was on sale? Have an idea in mind of what is causing most of your clutter, so you can avoid bringing it home in the first place.

Don’t keep something out of guilt. You do not have to keep something that you do not like, just because someone gave it to you. It’s ok to appreciate the sentiment of the gift, without actually keeping it.

I'll try to work on my attitude and see if I can accomplish something today. 

January 11, 2011 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Cleared off the top of a bookcase in our bedroom. It looks much cleaner, but I now need to find a better way to store lotions and nail polish. It's all stuff that I use, but I'd like to keep things looking uncluttered.

I'm going to have to think on this one. Maybe a little bin?

January 11, 2011 at 11:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I've been thinking about this, and now I know why every drawer is a junk drawer. It's because when I whip through the house, trying to get things looking presentable in a hurry, I swipe everything off the surfaces into the nearest drawer. Things look good on the outside, but there is no organized system in place.

Everything needs a home, I know. I need to find a home for all my things. If there is no home, they probably should go. Harsh words!

January 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Battled the top of our dresser and won. I kept looking at it, and it was disgusting me. When I was all of a sudden ready to attack it, I was in such a hurry, I forgot to take a before picture.  Here is the after, anyway.

January 12, 2011 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Okay. Kids are back to school now, I have no real excuse to not resume my decluttering. So, I decluttered the two drawers in the downstairs bathroom. I want to declutter the area under the sink in there, too, but that will be another day.

These drawers weren't so full of stuff as they were kind of gross. It felt good to wash them out and toss the icky junk ... 

Looking at the hair brush in there, I was reminded that when I was little, my mom always washed her hair brush and comb out every week or so with soapy water. It's been  long time since I've thought of doing that!

Much better ...

January 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.