Simple Heart And Mind

Forums

Forum Home > Simple Living > The Declutter Challenge

Sandy
Site Owner

As I was reading another blog on how to declutter, the topic of how to deal with sentimental items came up. 

An example was made using pictures from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and the visual effect really got my attention. The main gist of it was, that a small box of really important things can mean so much more than say, a room full of things that don't have as much value other than just being old things from the past.

Look at these pictures and see what I mean (from smallnotebook.org):

January 18, 2011 at 9:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Hubby is going ice fishing this weekend ... might be a great time to get through some more drawers. I believe I have 9 left ...

--

January 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Three more drawers (and under the sink) decluttered in the upstairs bathroom! I was surprised (and disgusted) by how many old hairbrushes were found (and empty shampoo bottles).

Things that helped me to complete this task ... potato chips (kettle style), pizza, and listening to Prairie Home Companion ...

Ready for some pictures?

January 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

One more...

January 22, 2011 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

And the afters ...

January 22, 2011 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

A few days have already passed since my last decluttering effort. My goal for the month was to go through 20 drawers, and I have 6 left. I know the ones I have left to do, and I'm determined they will be done.

Life gets so busy, though. And sometimes I just don't feel like it. 

On the up side, I'm starting to notice a difference in the house, in general. It makes sense that the less stuff that is in the house, the less cleaning will need to be done. It's much easier to clean empty areas, than pick and clean areas full of stuff.

So, I'm going to try to work on some kitchen drawers tonight. Wish me luck.

January 26, 2011 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Junk drawer, anyone? 

January 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Under the bathroom sink ...

January 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Katie

Sandy at January 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Under the bathroom sink ...

wow mom you're doing so good! looks great! :D

January 27, 2011 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kia
Wow! It looks awesome. You're doing a great job, Sandy!
January 29, 2011 at 8:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

I've had time this weekend to get some things done. I was able to finish the last 5 drawers in the kitchen, too. The first 4 were pretty easy to blow through. They mostly needed a little straightening up, but I washed out the drawers and did find a few things to give away.

The last drawer was last because it was the one that held all the cooking things that I sometimes use( but many only occasionally). That drawer was full of stuff and intimidating. I actually think I had a dream about it last night.

I met my goal, 20 drawers decluttered this month.  Next month will be harder. I think I want to work on the pile in the spare bedroom. That is a scary thought. :(

Anyway, here's one more picture ...

January 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

February Goal: Attack the extra bedroom.

There is a pile growing in there of misplaced items and things that don't have a home. There is more to be done in there, but I'll start with that pile. It's been there awhile, and it's a thorn in my side.

The Plan: Try to declutter 15 minutes a day, more if I can stand it.

Here it is. Don't judge me.

February 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Well, I pretty much had to force myself to go into this room to declutter. Today I mostly removed stuff that was obvious trash material, although I did find a bag of things that can be given to charity.  I only made the minimum 15 minutes, though. 

I'll try again tomorrow. 

--

February 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I'm feeling overwhelmed when I think about that room. I know that I need to just pick a small area, box, etc. and then just concentrate on clearing that out. Easier said than done, though. :( The clutter didn't appear over night, it won't disappear in a day. Sigh.

--

February 3, 2011 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

No time to declutter yesterday. Is that the truth, or just an excuse?

--

February 4, 2011 at 8:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

After missing two days of decluttering, I am now back in the game. :D

I have four large, purple, plastic bins that I bought many moons ago just for this purpose.  See, my desire to declutter has been there for quite awhile, if that counts for anything. 

There are a lot of papers in there! So, today, I'm working on going through as much of the papers that I can. Eventually I'd like to organize the papers that are saved, but today I'm getting rid of as much as I can. 

No pictures to post today. 

February 5, 2011 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I'm starting to see a difference in the spare bedroom. 

Although most of yesterday was spent going through papers, I did take the time to clear off and organize some spaces. The desk is cleared off. The plants are moved to a bedside table, all together. The sheets were washed and bed remade. Little things that make me feel better when I look into the room, and it's motivating.

At one point, I found myself rearranging the boxes, though. I was stacking them up neatly when I became aware of what I was doing. If I hadn't been making such good progress in general, it might have been kind of sad ... 

I won't have huge blocks of time today to declutter, but my goal is for 15-30 minutes in there. I can see a light at the end now, and does it feel good. :)

February 7, 2011 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I finally got back on track yesterday, and was back in the bedroom decluttering.

The week was so busy and I didn't do my 15 minutes a day ... I did spend an hour in there yesterday, though. One big box sitting on the floor was emptied. I also dusted and straightened up the pictures on the dresser. It looks better, but I'm not sure I'll keep all the photos on there forever. Eventually I want to declutter and organize all the photos in the house, too.

I'm finding this room difficult to stick with. Drawers are more managable because they're smaller and a difference can be seen immediately when thay're done. This room ... ugh. The piles may be shrinking, but at a much slower pace. This room might take two months instead of one to finish. 

--

February 13, 2011 at 9:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I started chipping away at the piles I've been eye-ing on the bed.  I was talking on the phone with my mom last night, and thought, I might as well .. plus, Nick is coming home for a visit tonight, and that's where he will sleep, so good incentive to get it done! 

BESs

BESs

I think I can finish clearing them off today. I think I can. :D

--

February 17, 2011 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I decided that today I could deal with the box of all my old dolls. The dolls that were naked and had ratty hair and missing arms. 

Well, it sort of brought out the crazy in me, and I had to dress them and pose them on the bed so I could take their picture. And, then I surprised myself by being able to put them back into the box to give away. I'm not sure how valuable they are, but I felt better labeling them "vintage dolls" and then put them into the garage. The only doll I kept, was my Kissy doll because she always reminded me of my mom.  :)

Here they are, from Sandy's former life ...

February 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.