Simple Heart And Mind

Forums

Forum Home > Simple Living > The Declutter Challenge

Sandy
Site Owner

It's March. I didn't finish decluttering the extra bedroom in February, but to be honest, I didn't think I would. So, I will continue to work on that room in March. 

That room is a tricky one for me. Drawers were much easier for some reason, I think because they were smaller chunks that could be done quickly, and then there was immediate gratification. A room is ... a much bigger space to look at and deal with. For me, easier to get overwhelmed with.

And, this is a reason why I need to force myself to deal with it all. Years have passed and, yes, busy years, too. I've decided that I don't need to feel like a loser because my house was not immaculate and perfectly organized. Really, the process of living can be messy. In the end, I believe that time spent on the family and relationships trumps being obsessed with perfection in the environment. :)

Even so, it doesn't hurt to try to keep the clutter to a minimum. There will always be clutter and papers coming into my home, and it would be helpful to have a way of dealing with it as it arrives. 

So. I'm going to try to declutter 15 minutes a day again. See how that goes. There is plenty of regular life and family issues that will take up the rest of my time.

--

March 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I was able to recycle four old cell phones yesterday ... the zoo had a thing going on in that if you brought in an old cell phone to recycle there, you could get a free admission! 

Well, I had four, so the four of us got free admission. :) 

I guess that worked out pretty well! Every little bit of clutter going out of the house counts.

--

March 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Hello. I haven't been updating things very well here on the blog, and although I haven't been as organized or focused in my decluttering attempts, I haven't stopped altogether. At least that is what I am telling myself. :)

I'm beginning to realize that the little daily habits of keeping house really do help to keep things from building up again.

One thing that helps is getting rid of all the massive junk mailings as soon as possible. On a good day, I can toss them the day they come into the house, but sadly that doesn't always happen. And soon after a paper or two is set down, a pile starts to grow. And grow and grow ...  I did get rid of a growing pile of papers in the kitchen the other evening, and that felt great. :)

I also want to say thank you to my hubby for clearing out a path in the basement storage room the other day. Psychologically, that did me good, and I am once more starting to see things I can toss.

If you are reading this, thanks. It helps me stay accountable.

--

April 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Does decluttering leaves from the flower gardens count? :)

--

April 12, 2011 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I'm back in the game!  :)  

I was getting lazy and discouraged and overwhelmed ... even resigned to the idea that this declutter challenge just might be history ...   I could see the areas needing work, but just couldn't make myself do it.  It was not good.

But, today, I felt a surge of new energy and I got to work on a desk sitting in our dining room.

It's full of junk, of course. Mostly old papers, but quite a bit of kid papers that might be worthy of a second look if and when I decide to make memory books for them. I was able to toss a lot of papers and found papers to shred. Since I now have a temporary resting place for papers I want to keep (remember the purple bins?), it felt good to put them away, and I was able to clear out one drawer.

I do have a good reason that is motivating me, though. My mom has a china hutch that's been in her family for years that she wants to give me. I think it would look pretty in place of the desk.

Maybe I can tackle another drawer tomorrow.

--

April 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

So, I just forced myself to declutter a pile of whatever that was starting to grow on my dresser. As a reward, I told myself I could blog a bit.

Why is this so hard to do? It's really not, once I get started. It's getting started that's hardest. So, I made my little piles to organize, put the little piles where they belonged, and tossed the garbage. There. 

I started to think about how does one even begin to get started on decluttering when there is such a sense of being overwhelmed. Then I remembered a website I went to years ago, and that actually many people have sworn to be helpful. 

I thought I'd share this little gem with you! It's called Flylady, and the gal who founded Flylady was once a very overwhelmed person herself. I think you should check it out ... let me know what you think. Everybody has a different way of doing things, of course, but she does make a lot of sense. 

This link will take you to the beginning ... babysteps ...  

Flylady   

I'm not sure how much extra decluttering I'll get done this weekend as it's Easter weekend and the whole family will be home, but I did get some basic pick ups and vacuuming done, so I'm feeling pretty good about that. :)  Have a nice Easter.

--

April 21, 2011 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Last night I did a little maintenance work in our bedroom. It would be great if things could just stay clean after the initial decluttering, such a dreamer I am.  I finally found a small basket to store some new lotions and makeup in the waiting, and it looks much better. The drawers and tops of furniture are still looking good, but under the bed is another story.

--

May 11, 2011 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I have a HUGE pile of things on my front step this morning, waiting for a charity pick up. I hope they take it all! 

--

May 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Started another bag for charity pick up. As I was putting dishes away, I realized that little plastic food containers were starting to multiply. Funny how they do that. Anyway, I grabbed a pile and tossed them in. I count this a victory in that I am noticing these things earlier ...

--

May 24, 2011 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Today I went down into the laundry room to do a load of wash, and was all of a sudden overwhelmed with all the clutter and baskets of laundry in there. 

I also realized that I didn't have any of my summer things to wear out yet and it's getting dang hot around here! So, I started digging for them. Of course, I had to try everything on to see if they still fit. 

Well, I ended up finding a couple bags of things to give away. I straightened up my closet and sock drawer again, too. It feels good, but there is still so much to get rid of. 

--

June 4, 2011 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Well, Katers has been working on her room and found a bunch of things in her closet she wanted to get rid of.

They ended up in my dining room ...  :P

They sat in my dining room for a couple of weeks, and I started to feel like I was in an episode of Hoarder's everytime I went into the room. I didn't like this feeling. :/

I finally found some time to go through the stuff and bag it all up. Fifteen bags to give away to charity!  :)

This decluttering business just goes on and on. 

--

July 10, 2011 at 1:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Has it really been three weeks since my last update? :roll:  The dog days of summer have made me sluggish and it's been difficult getting very many productive things done. I did get through a quite large pile of papers that started to grow on my kitchen chair (Yes, a chair. I found I could tuck the table up close to the chair and it wouldn't show much unless you were walking up the basement stairs but then the pile grew so large and unruly that it was spilling over on to the floor.) And really the only reason I was motivated to do this was because the internet was down. 

Onward. 

--

August 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Finally scheduled up a charity pick up for this week!  :roll: 

--

August 24, 2011 at 11:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Well, the OCD is kicking in today!

It started with wanting to refill the salt and pepper shakers and morphed into taking the kitchen apart and tossing things. I had about five projects going at once, though. So far, cleared out the freezer and organized five shelves of the pantry cabinet. Found two grocery bags of old stuff to toss in the garbage. Oh, and refilled the salt shaker. :roll:

It feels good, good, good!

Might be nice to get through the Lazy Susan's of old spices and boxes of jello and pudding, too, we shall see. And I want to declutter in the dining room this weekend, also.

I know it's Labor Day weekend, and supposed to be a time for the laborers to rest, but you gotta move when the inspiration is there! :D

Have a great holiday weekend ...

--

September 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I am tired.

I emptied out the desk in the dining room and had the boys help me carry it downstairs into the storage room.  I still need to reorganize what goes back into the desk, but I now have two good sized boxes to go to charity. The dining room is  clean and has a spot in the corner for the china hutch that's been in my mom's family for years! I think I did well, but my body is complaining. 

I then vacuumed the first floor and cleaned the kitchen. 

I guess the two areas that always seem to need the most attention is that dang storage room in the basement and, of course, the spare bedroom. But, I'm NOT giving up. They WILL get decluttered. :/

Anyway, family coming over tomorrow for the holiday, and the china hutch is coming with. 

And, I already have a charity pick up scheduled for the end of the week!

--

September 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I decided to make some chili today, and wouldn't you know it, the only two spices missing were the chili powder and cumin!  However, the Lazy Susans (what an awful expression, there must be a better one) were overflowing with containers of old dried spices from who knows when. 

So, everything came out onto my counter and when I started seeing Best Used by 2005, I started tossing, even though a little voice in my head said that I was being wasteful. It's a fairly large cabinet, so it felt like a good accomplishment. 

I also noticed that most of those spices were never used much, and probably purchased with only one recipe in mind. And that the spices I do use regularily are used up and replaced fairly quickly. Hmm. 

Maybe I should stick to the recipes I know I will make.

--

September 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Well, I've been working on the closet in the spare bedroom again. It really is horrible. So far I've gone through three bags of papers, shredding and dumping them into the recycling bin.

When we first moved into the house, we turned this closet into a desk area. It actually worked out kind of cool. We could just close the doors and then the papers on the desktop would be concealed. Then we had a couple more kids, and the room became a bedroom again. I'm thinking that it might be good to use that closet again as desk space. Part of my problem is that I don't have anywhere to organize important papers, so they end up sitting around in the kitchen, in our bedroom, etc.

I think I'm going to tell myself that's the goal. Might help me stay motivated.

--

October 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Domestic Goddess

Sandy at January 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Thank you for the encouragement. :)

I've had time this weekend to get some things done. I was able to finish the last 5 drawers in the kitchen, too. The first 4 were pretty easy to blow through. They mostly needed a little straightening up, but I washed out the drawers and did find a few things to give away.

The last drawer was last because it was the one that held all the cooking things that I sometimes use( but many only occasionally). That drawer was full of stuff and intimidating. I actually think I had a dream about it last night.

I met my goal, 20 drawers decluttered this month.  Next month will be harder. I think I want to work on the pile in the spare bedroom. That is a scary thought. :(

Anyway, here's one more picture ...

Sandy I see some Tupperware measuring cups in your drawer.  I have a set of those very same measuring cups. Oh and by the way... I applaud you for all the hard work you have done.  Everything looks so nice and organized.  Viewing your pics makes me feel like I should get on the ball and do some decluttering myself.

--

October 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Thanks. :) I try hard, but don't always get as much done as I want to. The desire is there, anyway! 

I have to work to keep the drawers that way ... family have a way of throwing things in them! 

I wonder if the declutter challenge will ever truly be done ...

--

October 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Domestic Goddess

Sandy at February 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM

February Goal: Attack the extra bedroom.

There is a pile growing in there of misplaced items and things that don't have a home. There is more to be done in there, but I'll start with that pile. It's been there awhile, and it's a thorn in my side.

The Plan: Try to declutter 15 minutes a day, more if I can stand it.

Here it is. Don't judge me.

Sandy, I would never judge you, as I think your room looks rather tame compared to 2 of the rooms in my house that are indire need of cleaning & organizing.

--

October 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.