Simple Heart And Mind

Forums

Forum Home > Simple Living > The Declutter Challenge

Sandy
Site Owner

:) Thanks. It's an ongoing thing, isn't it.

--

October 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I have a pretty good sized pile of things to give to charity tomorrow. I was able to do some purging in the basement storage room ... mostly lots of games that nobody ever looks at.  I need to keep telling myself that even though this isn't getting done quickly, every little bit helps. 

--

November 2, 2011 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Back working in the spare bedroom yesterday! I find myself moving between that room and the basement storage room, depending on which room is causing me to panic. :)  Those rooms are definitely the ones that get me worked up. :) 

Anyway, I ended up pulling everything out of the closet, of course adding to the already full floor of stuff piling up ... I was able to box up things of Nick's for him to look through later, and toss a bunch of obvious trash taking up space in big cardboard boxes. Afterwards, three big carboard boxes were able to be removed from the room to be recycled. 

Big carboard boxes can really take up space!

I am noticing lots of old papers to go through. What's up with all the papers in this house?

Will I be able to stay with this momentum? 

--

November 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Yesterday was just busy all around, but I was able to work in the bedroom for about 15 minutes later in the evening. 

Focus: bags of yarn 

So I found a plastic bin in the basement ( transferred the stuff in it to a smaller one) and used it to store the yarn. How did I get so much yarn? What was I thinking? I also found at least three knitting projects in process (that I'd forgotten all about) and ended up having to untangle several skeins as I tried to make sense of it all.

Wow. I guess I remember buying the yarn, and I did have ideas at the time of what I was going to knit, but then I didn't end up having the time needed to do the projects. I'm going to have to think on this awhile and make a decision as to whether those projects have a good chance of ever being completed or maybe I just ditch the yarn!

Sigh.

--

November 9, 2011 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Threw away four old pillows last night ... now, why was that so hard? :P 

--

November 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

The floors are now clear in the spare bedroom. Vacuumed, dusted, clean sheets on the bed. Only three boxes remain in there that need to be purged and that is stuff my mom brought here from her house! 

I am pooped out.

Next will be the storage room in the basement, but that won't happen until this weekend is done. And, that will be a MAJOR thing to do.  :(

--

November 10, 2011 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Thought I would post a few pictures of my efforts before someone goes in there and messes things up!

--

November 10, 2011 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

The hubby watched some Hoarders episodes with me last night ... scary. :)

I find them motivating and I'm gearing up towards the basement storage room. 

Maybe today I'll get started in there.

--

November 16, 2011 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Last  night I actually threw away an unopened plastic spoon and a couple packets of sea salt from our dinner at Wendy's. I know that this probably seems weird ( and wasteful?) to even mention, but I've never been able to do something like this before. I looked at them, and it made me tired to think of finding some bags to store them in. Since I've cleaned out the kitchen cabinets, it makes me not want to have to deal with bags of that sort of stuff again. 

Is this healthy?

--

November 19, 2011 at 8:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I attacked the fridge tonight. I knew there were tons of outdated bottles in there, but I've been sort of cleaning around them ... wow. I found a large grocery bag full of sauces, dressings, etc. to recycle. I did take the time to rinse them all out instead of just tossing them in the trash. I was able to completely clear two shelves, and only the dressings and sauces that we use on a regular basis remain.

Of course I wondered why there were so many bottles of things that were hardly touched, just sitting there getting old. And I think I now know why ... I have a lot of well meaning ideas of meals I want to make, and I bought those items thinking that I would make them. Trouble is, I didn't have a definite plan of when that meal would be made, and I didn't have all the ingredients at the time to make them. Sort of like buying other things and not really knowing where those things would fit into the house and then they sit and are forgotten about. 

Light bulb moment!

Anyway, I'm feeling good about getting that done. And as always, I need to move on it when the feeling to clear things out hits me.

--

November 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

2012 already ... I made good progress last year, but still have more decluttering to do. My focus will now turn to the basement storage room

I'll try to post a before decluttering picture soon to keep me accountable.

That room just keeps getting worse and worse, and I can't stand it.  :(

So, follow along with me. It will get done. :P

--

January 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Today I was able to put all the Christmas things away, and give the first floor a good dusting and vacuuming. I decided to remove some things that were sitting on the piano, and just leave a lamp and a couple of pictures. It's looking much cleaner in there now, and that feels good.

So, now I need to start gearing myself up for the basement storage room.

Here it is ...

--

January 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

So this weekend, we finally brought the Christmas tree downstairs to the basement storage room, where else? We had to sort of toss it into the corner, over the stuff that was blocking the walls.

I told my husband, "Welcome to my hoarder's nightmare."  :/

And, then it was decided that a trip would be made to empty out my son's apartment as he is planning to move back with us for awhile ... guess where his stuff would be stored ... basement storage room.  :P

Good inspiration for me. I was feeling sort of anxious, but that frequently makes me move faster, so I went to work. I worked two solid days to go through all the stuff, and made amazing progress. I was so sore I could hardly move last night, but bed felt all that much better.

Of course, as soon as I finished, the new stuff arrived to take it's place. I'm glad I took some pictures for proof of what I was able to do.

--

January 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Six bags out the door and to charity!  Whoo hoo!  ;)

--

February 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I haven't been feeling as productive in the tossing out department lately, but yesterday I did get through a pile of stuff sitting in the hallway outside Katie's door ... found two boxes of things to donate to charity, a bag of garbage to toss, and a large box of papers to be recycled.  Phew. :P

--

March 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I'm back.  :roll:  I'm feeling like my home is out of control again, and I need to reclaim it.  Adult children have moved back, things have changed once more, it's not always a good feeling. So.

What I am needing the most, is a desk area where I can keep track of papers and pay bills. Things are getting lost at the moment, and it's feeling like chaos in my mind. 

I've decided to move a desk into Kater's currently unused bedroom. I'm not planning on tossing her things, maybe just figure out a better way to consolidate and store them ...

I've been working in there the last few evenings and last night Jake helped me carry up the desk. I'm feeling better already!  :lol:

Next step is to get through all the paperwork. In the future, I can see myself organizing old photos, maybe even try my hand at scrapbooking. 

--

April 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

It's been awhile since I've posted as life has gotten in the way once more. I've slowed down in my efforts to clear out the house, but it's always in the back of my mind. The first floor of the house stays picked up and fairly clutter free most of the time, and I'm not embarrassed when people stop in unexpectedly. I'm thinking that's a good thing. I'm not sure when I'll be able to resume clearing things out on a more regular basis, but I'm sure the time will come, sometime!  :)

--

February 8, 2014 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

I read a blog on the internet about finding 40 bags of stuff to get out of the house during the 40 days of Lent. It can be things to toss, recycle, or donate. So far I have 5 bags (should have 9), but I'm not giving up yet! 

--

March 13, 2014 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

UPDATE ... 25 bags out the door and donated to the local thrift store! :) 

--

March 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sandy
Site Owner

Forgot to say that we got rid of an upholstered chair and dresser last weekend. I'm going to count those each as a bag, so total of 27 bags out the door. I need to get moving on this again, 13 bags to go ...

--

April 3, 2014 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.